The Australian Government is continuing to support the health and wellbeing of men in Mallee through a grant under the 20th funding round of the National Shed Development Programme.
Member for Mallee, Anne Webster welcomed the decision by the Australian Government to award the Rainbow Men’s Shed with funding of $5,500.
“I’m pleased the Rainbow Men’s Shed in Mallee will now be able to build a Solar system and inverter with this funding,” Dr Anne Webster said.
“Now more than ever, Sheds offer men a critical avenue for social support and engagement”
“To stay healthy, we need to do regular activities with the people around us, and our local men’s shed has become a focal point for the Mallee community.”
A Men’s Shed can range from purpose built facilities, multipurpose buildings, or shared spaces.
Minister for Health, Greg Hunt, said that belonging to a social group was vitally important for emotional and mental health.
“Men’s Sheds are a fantastic way for men to stay connected with their communities,” Minister Hunt said.
“The Government remains committed to supporting men’s sheds and encouraging men to meet up and get involved with meaningful community projects.”
Regional Health Minister, Mark Coulton, said Men’s Sheds are particularly important for regional, rural, and remote communities across the country.
“In many parts of the bush, local Men’s Sheds are fast becoming one of the most important organisations, one where members make connections and serve their community.”
More than 6,000 men across Australia are expected to benefit from the programme, with 121 men’s sheds receiving funding under this round.
Since 2013, the Government has provided $5.4 million through the National Shed Development programme to support men’s sheds across Australia.
- More than 6,000 men across Australia will benefit from the Australian Government’s $500,000 investment in men’s sheds.
- This funding through round 20 of the National Shed Development programme will help improve the mental health of men in the Mallee community.
- Specifically, this funding will be used for a Solar System and Inverter.
- One in eight men will experience depression in their lives.
- One in five men will experience anxiety.
- Since 2013, the Government has provided $5.4 million to support men’s sheds.
- Men’s sheds help men find social support and help them get involved in meaningful community projects.
- The Government awards grants to men’s sheds in three categories – health and wellbeing events, shed improvements, and equipment.