Councils in Mallee will be supported as part of the Federal Liberal and Nationals Government’s $1.8 billion boost for road and community projects through local governments across Australia.
The investment will support local jobs and businesses and boost local economies struggling under the effects of COVID-19.
Federal Member for Mallee, Anne Webster said the package included the establishment of a new $500 million Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program and the bringing forward of $1.3 billion of the 2020-21 Financial Assistance Grant payment. The new Program is based on the successful Roads to Recovery program and will enable local councils to deliver priority projects with a focus on upgrades and maintenance to local roads and community infrastructure.
Dr Webster said accelerating local infrastructure projects was important for supporting jobs and the local economy in Mallee
“Every single job we support makes a huge difference in our local communities, now and as we navigate out of the Coronavirus pandemic,” Dr Webster said.
“Not only will this package support jobs, construction businesses and the economy across Mallee, it will improve our local roads and provide for new and upgraded amenities to help communities stay connected.
“I will be working closely with our councils to make sure projects get under way to support jobs and businesses as soon as possible.”
Local road projects to be delivered under the Program include but are not limited to constructing or improving bridges and tunnels, street lighting, and heavy vehicle facilities such as rest areas.
A broad range of community infrastructure projects will be eligible including new or upgraded bicycle and walking paths, community facilities, and picnic shelters and barbeque facilities at parks.
Under the Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program the following new funding allocations have been made to councils in Mallee this financial year:
- $ 1,599,763 for Buloke Shire Council
- $789,546 for Central Goldfields Shire Council
- $1,317,955 for Gannawarra Shire Council
- $1,080,798 for Hindmarsh Shire Council
- $1,428,396 for Horsham Rural City Council
- $2,387,726 for Loddon Shire Council
- $2,704,817 for Mildura Rural City Council
- $1,857,984 for Northern Grampians Shire Council
- $1,394,921 for Pyrenees Shire Council
- $1,434,158 for Swan Hill Rural City Council
- $1,528,011 for West Wimmera Shire Council
- $1,322,974 for Yarriambiack Shire Council
Guidelines for the Program will be provided directly to local governments by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications.
Under the Financial Assistance Grant payment that has been brought forward, the following funding allocations have been made to councils in Mallee this financial year:
- Buloke Shire Council- $3,455,155
- Central Goldfields Shire – $2,111,122
- Gannawarra Shire Council – $2,953,240
- Hindmarsh Shire Council – $2,579,174
- Horsham Rural City Council – $3,245,404
- Loddon Shire Council – $4,680,597
- Mildura Rural City Council – $8,266,272
- Northern Grampians Sire council – $4,057,245
- Pyrenees Shire Council – $2,947,168
- West Wimmera Shire Council – $3,271,529
- Yarriambiack Shire Council – $2,904,354
- Swan Hill Rural City Council – $3,617,802
Allocations under the Financial Assistance Grant and Local Road and Community Infrastructure programs can be found at https://investment.infrastructure.gov.au/lrci.